When the Mace family’s ancestors homesteaded on Eagle Island in the 1880s, they had no idea the land they settled would be Eagle’s last undeveloped riverfront parcel of its kind a hundred and twenty-six years later.
In 1887, Mace River Ranch was homesteaded by Polete Mace, one of the original founders of Eagle. Back then, Polete traveled by horse into Boise to file a patent for land near the river. On September 3, 1887, President Grover Cleveland granted him one for 130 acres. At that time, Eagle Island was mostly cottonwood forests and gravel bars.
Eventually, the Mace family cleared the land and farmed it for over 100 years through four generations, using the property’s trees to build log houses. Mace River Ranch’s large nature preserve serves as a living tribute to the Mace family’s legacy of environmental stewardship.
Back in the 1880s, Polete Mace knew what he was doing when he snatched up prime riverfront property in Eagle. We hope you will too.
To learn more about Mace River Ranch, please call Georgie Pitron at 208.830.9002, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.